Friday, June 17, 2011

Communication from South Africa

Communication services in South Africa will be very different from last year's trip to China. I checked with Verizon today and this is what I found out:

Text messages: 50 cents to send / 5 cents to receive
Phone calls: $2.89 per minute
Internet: $20.48 per MB
Verizon- Calling from South Africa
**This information may be different for your child depending on your service provider.

How does this apply to you? Last year, I could not blog from my computer and some places did not have internet available, so I had to use my cell phone. Based on these rates, services that only cost me $30 for the two weeks we were in China would incur charges well over $400 during our stay in South Africa. This means that I will not be able to post on the blog RIGHT AFTER something happens, i.e. we land in Jo'burg. Please be patient and know two things: 1) I will post as fast as possible and 2) if your child does not e-mail you right away, it means that he or she is having fun.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were able to get an unlimited international data plan for Connor's phone it was only $65 for the month. I am sure he would let you use his phone for blogging

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info! If I don't have time to access the blog at the schools or have it where I am staying, I will DEFINITELY take you up on that offer!

    ReplyDelete